For many people, the concept of energy healing is a little “out there” and well towards the extreme end of alternative medicine and for many years this was true of myself. Having an environmental science background and a black or white view of the world, I couldn’t rationalise something that I couldn’t see and feel as being real or valid. Well, the journey has been interesting!
After about seven years in full-time clinical practice, there accumulated many events and observations of healing occurring with my patients that couldn’t be explained just using science and logic.
I became aware of extra information about patients did not seem to make logical sense to me, but seemed pivotal to their healing experience and congruent with them.
Due to the results I was getting and my curiosity I engaged more with the energy side of things and over about six years became an undeniable part of my practice.
Around this time my sister made me aware of an energy healing course that she was doing, taught by a teacher who was qualified at the Barbara Brennan School of healing in the United States. My concern about best practice and making sure that I was doing it correctly had me sign up for the four-year course. Needless to say, that both challenged and opened my mind and exposed me to the power, beauty and effectiveness of energy healing. I became one of only seven to graduate from our original class of thirty five starting in 2008 and since then have integrated it into nearly every area my practice.
A Brief Explanation
Since everything is composed of energy, all healing ultimately involves energy. Most healing methods are focused on the physical, mental and emotional levels of life, without recognition of the deeper underlying energy. Energy healing works purely with the energetic level of our being. Since everything is made up of patterns of energy, working directly with energy influences the physical, mental and emotional, as well as the spiritual level. Energy healing is thus by nature “wholistic”.
If there is an illness or disturbance in the body, mind or emotions, we certainly want to address those levels. Energy healing, however, complements and supports other methods of healing, because it addresses the energy of which the body, mind and emotions are composed.
We believe that working "with" the body's natural systems and original design, we can achieve amazing things. Good health, vitality, optimal performance and functionality, and ultimately, healthy longevity.
The Basic Constructs of Energy Healing
- Everything is energy.
- We are energetic beings.
- Energy follows thought.
- Universal life energy can be directed through the hands to facilitate healing.
- Our attention is a like a beam of energy and affects whatever it is focused on, hence energy healing does not have to be hands-on.
- We have an energetic anatomy just as we have a physical anatomy
- The physical body can be considered the densest expression of the human energy field.
- Changes in the human energy field are expressed in the body in the course of time.
- Greater coherence, flow and balance in the human energy field can facilitate healing.
- Free flow of energy is essential to health and well-being.
- An individual with greater coherence in the energy field can positively affect the energy field of someone whose field is less coherent.
- The energy healer is able to enhance his/her own energy field sufficiently to positively affect the energy field of the client.
- Becoming centered and thus creating greater coherence in our energy field not only promotes self-healing but is the basis of using our energy field to support the healing of another.
- The healer can influence the energy field of a client in a variety of ways – through the medium of the hands, attention, and use of his/her own energy field. A kind of resonance takes place between the two fields, set in motion by mutual intention.
- Various models depict the energy field as being in layers, which include layers which support the physical, emotional, mental and spiritual aspects of life.
- Energy is the common denominator in all levels of human life; therefore energy healing is automatically holistic.
- Energy healing involves one or more of the following:
- Increasing the energy available to be used for healing,
- Facilitating the smooth flow of energy throughout the energy field through removal of blocks or congestion,
- Altering the quantity and/or quality of energy in various parts of the energy field,
- Creating greater symmetry and balance in the energy field, and/or
- Restructuring the energy field.